WHO we are
REFLECT harp+percussion consists of Dr. Alaina Graiser (harp) and Dr. Brian S. Graiser (percussion). Prior to the formation of REFLECT, the two have taken the stage across the United States, Canada, France, Italy, Switzerland, China, and Australia, presenting at venues such as the Percussive Arts Society International Convention, the World Harp Congress, the American Harp Society Summer Institute, the International Vibraphone Competition Claude Giot, the College Band Directors National Association, and Carnegie Hall. In addition to their performance activities, both musicians hold several leadership and teaching positions. Alaina is the current President of the AHS Cincinnati Chapter, the Director and Founder of the Cincinnati Summer Harp Camp, and a member of the Cincinnati Harper’s Robin; Brian is an active composer, a member of the PAS Composition Committee, a past member of the Editorial Board for the CCM Music Research Forum peer-reviewed research journal, an Adjunct Instructor at University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music Preparatory Department, and the Director of the Cincinnati Youth Percussion Collective. Together, the husband-and-wife team holds a combined seven academic degrees in music, most recently completing their Doctor of Musical Arts degrees at CCM in August 2015, and are eager to turn their focus towards establishing REFLECT as one of the nation’s premiere harp+percussion duos.
WHAT we do
REFLECT harp+percussion’s roots come from a mutual passion for the music of the Belle Époque and Fin de siècle periods, and French Impressionism in particular. The duo’s musical identity reflects this passion in two ways: by looking back and preserving the music of that period through innovative and faithful transcription, and by harnessing the surge of creativity and experimentalism of that time in the promotion of new works for harp and percussion today. REFLECT is equally committed to promoting musical education and research, as demonstrated by their combined private studio of 50 students and their presentation of research at national and international conferences. REFLECT’s goal is simple: to promote and share their love of music for harp and percussion through performance, education, research, recording, and the composition of new works.
NEWS and upcoming events
WHAT we offer
REFLECT harp+percussion is firmly committed to the ideals of community and student enrichment through exposure to professionals with diverse backgrounds, and offers a number of performance and teaching/clinic options suitable for all ages and levels of education (ranging from public "pops" performances to university lectures):
- 4/4/2016: TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to unfortunate and unexpected circumstances, the April 16th REFLECT harp+percussion concert hosted by the Charlotte Chapter of the American Harp Society has been postponed until next season. If you're in the area, please consider attending the clinic/performance at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts on April 17th!
- TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT: REFLECT harp+percussion is pleased to announce that it will be visiting the Charlotte Chapter of the American Harp Society as a part of its Spring 2016 Inaugural Tour. We will be presenting on Saturday, April 16; more details to follow!
- CONCERT ANNOUNCEMENT: REFLECT harp+percussion will be performing its concert debut on March 3rd, 2016, as a part of the Kaleidoscope Concert Series hosted by Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, Alabama. The duo will present a number of works for harp and percussion, including the world premiere of Brian Graiser's We Measure in Victims (2016) for harp and multiple percussion. Come join us as we kick off what looks like a very big year for our duo!
- TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT: REFLECT harp+percussion is pleased to announce that it will be coming to the University of North Carolina School of the Arts as a part of its Spring 2016 Inaugural Tour. We will be at UNCSA on Sunday, April 17 and look forward to leading a workshop with the UNCSA student composers who have written duos for harp and percussion!
- TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT: REFLECT harp+percussion is pleased to announce that it will be performing at the University of North Carolina-Pembroke as a part of its Spring 2016 Inaugural Tour. We will be stopping by on Monday, April 18 and presenting a daytime clinic/masterclass as well as an evening concert.